DIY Sticky-Gone (Non-Toxic Goo Gone Alternative)

DIY Sticky-Gone (Non-Toxic Goo Gone Alternative)

May 25, 2018

Have you ever bought something, such as home decor, dishes, cups, etc., and you carefully attempted to take the price tag off, but the dang sticker wouldn't come off all the way? Luckily, you grab some Goo Gone and it comes right off. However, did you know that Goo Gone is highly toxic? Yep, yep it is. 

First, Goo Gone is classified as very flammable. This is confirmed on their website on their safety data pdf. It contains the toxic ingredients petroleum distillates (hydro treated light) and D-Limonene.

D-Limonene, according to the Environmental Working Group, has a moderate toxicity levelIt is used as a scent and solvent. It is listed as a possible human immune system toxicant or allergen, a skin/eye/lung irritant, possible developmental and reproductive toxicant, wildlife toxin, and more. 

Petroleum distillates (hydrotreated light), has a moderate risk, including a moderate cancer risk. I don't know about you, but I'd like to minimize my cancer risk and not chance it with something that already has a moderately high cancer risk, no thanks!

EWG lists it as a possible mutagen (not ninja turtle style haha), human carcinogen, and that you CAN expect it to be toxic and harmful to your organs and it doesn't even take a large dose.

I think you get the picture now that something as simple as Goo Gone can be toxic. Don't you worry though, we have the simplest trick for you! Kiss your sticker frustrations good-bye!

DIY Sticky-Gone

Ingredients:
Lemon Essential Oil (I go between Doterra's and Plant Therapy)
Paper towel or cloth/rag

 

Instructions:
Wet your towel of choice with lemon essential oil about the size of a silver dollar. Hold that section over the sticky mess for 30 seconds. Start rubbing to lift the sticker off. Voila! The annoying sticky mess is now gone!
Note - only use on glass, tile, hard plastic, or ceramic surfaces